Grace Collins DESMA9 Event #1
Moment of Reflection Installation
For Event #1 I attended Refik Anadol, a multimedia installation held in UCLA’s sculpture garden. Upon arriving, a few of my classmates, from my architecture class, and I went to a pre-show reception for the installation and learned a little bit more about the artist and the story behind the installation. Having a keen interest in artificial intelligence, this exhibit served as a way to intertwine with the healing properties of art for the mind. It was a reflection on the pandemic and allowed for a collective hope for the future. Before the ceremony, the Chancellor of UCLA made a comment between art and the human body, specifically the ability for us as humans to be able to connect with ourselves and the people around us in a deeper way using art.
Before the event started, upon checking in, attendees were handed a small blue bag and were instructed not to open until further instructed. During the event we were able to open this bag, and a small white ball lit up as I opened the bag. Everyone in the audience also opened their bags, and then a sea of small lit up lights unified the participants even more so. The light was a metaphor for unity and hope, something so crucial after a time of so much uncertainty, sadness, and despair.
Below I have included photos from the pre-show reception, photos as I entered the event, and a photo from UCLA's instagram during show, as I decided to put my phone away in solidarity for those greatly affected by COVID and to gain the full experience the artist had presented to the audience :)




Comments
Post a Comment