Grace Collins DESMA9 WEEK 2

 Just as artists like Dürer and other early artists used mathematical theory in relation to art, which was shown in lecture, many artists have used math to experiment with new artistic forms in today’s time. Throughout Dürer’s exploration, he examined human proportions in terms of math, as shown below.


Photograph cited below. I do not own the rights to this photo and no not intend to claim as so.


However, paper folding has become an increasingly popular examination of this juxtaposition. In fact a professor at MIT, Erik Demaine, investigates math and art using paper folding to create curved crease folds.


Photograph cited below. I do not own the rights to this photo and no not intend to claim as so.


Famously known in the world of origami and paper folds is work done by Noguchi. He transforms the world of math and art, creating folded lamps, which have been reproduced over and over again today. People like Demaine can look to Noguchi’s world for inspiration on new shapes and forms for his own projects. 


Photograph cited below. I do not own the rights to this photo and no not intend to claim as so.


Looking at the lecture material, an image depicts intersecting octahedra to form a sculpture. In this case, as well as Noguchi’s, it is highly important to use math to create accuracy in your artistic creations. Dimensional quality can also be examined through his work. The juxtaposition between Noguchi’s mathematics and art arguably creates this new dimension, which Abott’s reading categorized as something that, “implies direction and measurement” (Abbott, 1884, 46). Noguchi is able to create his own new dimension by using in mathematics and taking a flat, two dimensional piece of paper, creating it into a new one and transforming its qualities.


Works Cited:

Abbott, Edwin A. “Flatland.” Flatland, by E. A. Abbott, 1884, http://www.ibiblio.org/eldritch/eaa/FL.HTM. 

“Akari UF4-33N.” The Noguchi Museum, https://shop.noguchi.org/products/akari-uf433n. 

Images

Kirsch, Matthew. “History of Akari Light Sculptures.” The Noguchi Museum, 14 May 2021, https://www.noguchi.org/isamu-noguchi/digital-features/the-history-of-akari-light-sculptures/. 

Published On: March 27, Shared by dethorne. “Albrecht Dürer's Human Proportions.” UT Health Science Center Library, 28 Feb. 2018, https://library.uthscsa.edu/2012/03/albrecht-durers-human-proportions/. 

Ventura, Anya. “The Art and Mathematics of Origami.” Arts at MIT, 20 Dec. 2017, https://arts.mit.edu/the-art-and-mathematics-of-origami/. 



Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing how art and math intertwine through the different paper structures. Based of my learning from the material we learned this week, it is very true many artists use mathematical principles to create successful art projects and works. The work that you have shown of Noguchi like the folded lamps is very awesome I enjoyed looking at his art work as it relates to my common engagement in origami in my daily activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting how you framed paper folding to be the juxtaposition of artworks like that by Dürer in terms of two-dimensional versus three-dimensional. I thought of the juxtaposition of the topics of math and art and how their concepts overlap to create this harmony and how juxtaposition does not necessarily have to be totally disconnected concepts. I also enjoy paper art like origami so I like how you mentioned Noguchi’s work of the paper lantern, which sometimes I forget can take so many different shapes and forms. I see that you are also an architecture major; how do you see origami being more incorporated to everyday things? I can see this apply to other light fixtures and fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Grace. This week's blog article was informative and well-written. Origami is both a form of art and a mathematical concept. To learn how to interpret and fold origami paper folding patterns, you should really comprehend the mathematical thinking involved in order to create a more complex construct. Therefore, I entirely agree with you that the fact that several artists employ mathematical concepts to develop great projects and masterpieces is perfectly acceptable, based on insights from the content we covered this week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grace Collins Week #9 DESMA9

Grace Collins Week 7 DESMA9